The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in children’s park on the beach road. One of the most popular French governors to Pondicherry was “Dupleix”. He tried to prevent British supremacy by forming alliances with local princes. With the defeat of French in Second Carnatic War, Dupleix resigned his governorship and returned to France.
Statue of Dupleix stands at the southern end of the park is 2.88m tall. Even though Dupleix left Pondicherry in 1754, French recognition of his contribution came only in 1870, with the commissioning of two statues-one in Pondicherry and the other in France. This statue has been constructed over beautiful granite columns at Place du Republique.