Built in 1735, the mansion was named after Ananda Ranga Pillai, who was the courtier of Goernor Joseph Francois Dupleix. This mansion is the combination of both Indian and Gothic architecture styles. Ananda Ranga Pillai House is one of the oldest buildings in Pondicherry and is located right opposite the Grand Bazaar on Ranga Pillai Street.
The ground floor is traditional Tamil architecture with a huge courtyard with wooden pillars with exquisite carvings. As documented by Pillai in his diaries This mansion is a treasure house to understand the French colonial period in Pondicherry also called as Native Quarters.
Ananda Ranga Pillai mansion has been recognized by the Puducherry government as a heritage building. One of the few buildings that survive the British invasion is the Ananda Ranga Pillai Mansion.
Timings: 10AM – 6PM